Tuesday, August 26, 2008

I am patient, really

My husband says I have the patience of a gnat needing a crack fix.

I think that's a bit harsh.

Just because I hate lines, slow walkers, tedious meetings and long stories, does not mean I'm impatient.

Anyway, we're watching "Ace of Cakes" tonight. (Awesome Food Network show about Duff and his buddies who make beautiful, fun cakes in Baltimore) One woman is applying all these long, thin, delicate strips of colored fondant (icing) to this King Tut (historical figure) cake. It looks excruciatingly exact. I started feeling anxious just watching her.

I would absolutely never have the patience for that type of task. I know this because I once attempted a Christmas craft project. I made stockings for me, Jeff and Sassy. It was a simple project. Take two pieces of felt, cut out a pattern, sew the two pieces together, use glitter glue to write the person/canine's name, sew on three Christmas buttons and a felt tree, sew a strip of white felt to the top of stocking and sew a ribbon on top. It looked so cute in the magazine.

I did mine first, in case I messed up. It was easy, but slow, so slow. My stocking was perfect. Then I moved on to Sassy's, I decided to skip the buttons and the ribbon. I was totally sick of the project at this point. It seemed like I'd been working for days (it was really just a couple of hours). Then, I started on Jeff's. I decided I would just sew the felt together and write his name in glitter glue.

I've never been so glad to "finish" a project. I presented the stockings to Jeff who wondered why his was a bit simpler. I said I didn't want it to look to girly. (Good one, right?)

Jeff drags those stupid stockings out every Christmas, and some unsuspecting guest always asks when I'm going to finish Jeff's.

No comments: