Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Glitter glue, paper dolls and sisters


There was a time when my sister and I couldn't get along for five minutes. My parents would send us to Anne's bedroom with one book of paper dolls that we were supposed to share. Sharing was never really my thing. We were sent to Anne's room because Anne wasn't allowed in my room. I remember using multiple tubes of glitter glue to create "Keep out Anne" signs that I would proudly hang on my bedroom door. Hey, I never said I was a nice kid.

The paperdoll project was never successful. I would tear out the delicate dolls and clothes and give Anne any reject pieces. I would deem her family the retarded family on the block, and I would deem my family the wealthy, smart, helpful and generous family. It would take about 30 seconds for Anne to figure out that this was not fun and to start shouting "mom." This caused me to pounce on Anne and beat on her to get her to shut up. The dolls and clothes would crumple and rip beneath our flailing limbs.

Mom would run into the room only to find two disheveled girls and another destroyed set of paper dolls. Anne never did tell on me. She'd wipe away her tears and when mom asked what happened, she'd respond with "nothing."

Now my sister and I spend countless hours on the phone chatting about reality TV and taking silly quizzes on Facebook. We still have completely different personalities, but that doesn't cause us to fight anymore, at least not as much.

2 comments:

Erin D. said...

Poor Anne. One of my sisters used to call me ugly though and another would hold me down and wipe boogers on me. Maybe the paper doll thing wasn't THAT bad afterall.

debbie said...

Love it! You were definitely the epitome of the mean big sister, Dawn. Yes, I just started reading your blog, it's great!