Thursday, August 21, 2008

Diving for bronze

The best dive of the night didn't come from the Water Cube and it didn't belong to Ruolin Chen. Sure, she did a text-book perfect final dive that landed her a gold medal. But that was child's play. Literally, since she's 16. (or younger, I'm still struggling to figure out that Chinese age-calculation thing.)

No, the most memorable dive came from the rain-soaked track at the Bird's Nest and belonged David Neville. The 400-meter runner wanted the bronze medal so badly, he dived across the finish line. This was no lean. Neville actually jumped up and threw himself forward to land face-down in third place.

He's lucky he wasn't hurt. The paramedics seemed to think so, too. They rushed onto the track with a stretcher only to be turned away by a smiling Neville still sprawled across several lanes.

I'm not sure I've seen anyone want a gold medal as much as Neville wanted that bronze. Without that gutsy (and painful) move Neville wouldn't have medaled and the US wouldn't have swept the race.

I guess dives aren't just for pools.

1 comment:

Anne MM said...

Again--- I missed the race, this job might suck a little. Maybe I don't mind the Olympics being not so "live" since I've experienced most of these games through news blasts. Who knew the evening news could be interesting. Anyway again I haven't seen this race but i can't wait too. Great job!