Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Faux birthdays

My parents live in Indiana. My sister and I are both in Georgia. It's about a 9-hour drive from my house to mom and dad's.

Most of the time, the distance doesn't seem as far as it is. With phone calls and e-mails, we chat more than some families who live in the same town. But there are some occasions when the distance is really troubling.

My mom's 60th birthday is coming up in less than a month, and neither my sister nor I will be able to make it home for the big day. She and my father will be in school (both are college teachers) so they won't be able to come down to Georgia either.

Missing a milestone birthday sucks. My sister and I wondered if there was a way to make it less awful. Would a faux birthday be fun or goofy? We decided to find out.

My parents came down for a visit last weekend and we had a surprise party for mom. We had a princess theme. It seemed fitting for an almost 60-year-old. We wore funny hats, ate a chocolate brownie cake, snacked on Cheese Puffs and popcorn (mom favorites), blew bubbles, played silly games and made lots of noise.

It was fun. And it was goofy. And maybe it would have been better on the actual birth date, but there wasn't anything faux about the party.





No comments: