Thursday, August 14, 2008

Get in shape, girl

I feel lazy.

Today I went to work, exercised for 50 minutes and watched the Olympics.

Michael Phelps swam something like 100 miles and won more gold medals than anyone else ever has.

All in a day's work, I suppose.

Watching the Olympics always makes me want to get off the couch and learn a new sport.

As a little girl, I remember watching gymnastics on TV and tumbling in the living room at home. My sister and I would beg our parents to judge our somersaults and cartwheels. Poor mom.

Once mom bought a Get in Shape Girl rhythmic gymnastics kit. Anne and I had many gymnastics meets that year. We also got tangled in our ribbons and fell down a lot. It must have been hard for mom to judge the meet when she was laughing so hard. She seemed to have fun coming up with new awards like most graceful fall and best ribbon knot.

After one particularly competitive meet Anne I discovered we could hit each other with those ribbons. Mom went from judge to referee and the Get in Shape Girl kit was tucked away in a closet.

It was back to somersaults for us. Maybe I should try a few now. That would probably make me feel less lazy. My mom's not here, but maybe my husband will be the judge. In fact I'm sure he would judge me if I started doing somersaults in my living room.

1 comment:

Karly said...

At somewhere in the 8-12 age range, I announced I was going to the Olympics in badminton because I figured that must be pretty easy. Turns out you need to practice. Is badminton even an Olympic sport? I'll stick to pushing buttons on the remote and watching the Olympics.