Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Rah, rah Sarah

I wish that I'd counted how many times Sarah Palin said John McCain's name during her speech at Wednesday's Republican National Convention.

I feel like I'm in high school. He's the quarterback. She's the head cheerleader. She's the supportive wife and mother. He's the powerful, successful man.

She mostly talked about having a son in the Army, mothering a baby boy with special needs, being a member of the PTA and a taking pride in her status as a hockey mom. I'm not sure what these things have to do with being vice president, but she sounds like a interesting person to chat with over coffee.

She's a good speaker, and she was pretty funny (yay, speech writers). I thought she was a bit mean and took some cheap shots at Obama. But that strategy could work if, in comparison, McCain comes across as a more gentle and good-hearted grandfather (he is 72) in his speech tomorrow.

At first, I was surprised McCain chose such an unknown running mate, especially when news of her pregnant 17-year-old daughter broke. But I was surprised because I thought choosing a woman symbolized McCain's desire to grab some Hillary Clinton supporters. After hearing Palin speak, I realize that I was wrong. McCain simply wants a cheerleader. A small-town, pro-life, devout woman with a big, beautiful family will make his perfect wing-woman.

I'm just not sure she's the perfect wing-woman for America.

1 comment:

Karly said...

Rah-rah! (To you, not her!)