Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Margarita Wednesday comes home

Every Mexican restaurant in Columbus has Margarita Wednesday. Slushy, frozen, fruity margaritas are served at discounted prices. Yum.

I only wish I could get the margarita to go. The problem is the food is still pretty pricey and not exactly low in fat. I also seem unable to stop myself from eating the entire basket of chips while waiting for the food to arrive. I'm usually pretty full when my large-portion fajitas arrive, but that doesn't stop me from cleaning my plate.

Hoping to avoid coming home so stuffed we can hardly move, Jeff and I decided to recreate our favorite Mexican meal at home. For the dinner Jeff grilled some sirloin, and I sauteed some veggies. We made guacamole and assembled our own fajitas. For the chips, we used baked tortillas instead of the restaurant-style fried ones. Maybe even eating a whole basket of these isn't that bad for the waistline. The meal was fairly healthy and the portions controlled since I only heated up four flour tortillas.

Our Mexican fiesta wasn't complete until we made frozen mango margaritas. They were delicious. Here's the recipe if you'd like to try them.

2 1/4 cups (1 1/4 pounds) fresh or frozen mango
1 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
3 cups ice
4 ounces of tequila
2 ounces triple sec

Blend mango, water and sugar until smooth. Add ice, tequila and triple sec and blend.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Karly said...

Sounds very yummy!

Dawn said...

It was. This is certainly something you want to try at home!