Wednesday, April 15, 2009

The bridal shower connection



My friend Debbie is getting married. I've known Debbie since we were kids. We grew up in the sweet Indiana suburbs in a neighborhood called Lincolnshire. She and my sister were best friends, at least most of the time. I was the self-described cool older sister. I would play with Anne and Debbie when all my older, cooler friends were busy. And I invited them to my self-organized club meetings when all my cooler, older friends failed to come. I would create new games and set new rules for old games so I would win.

At some point, Debbie left the neighborhood and moved to New Jersey. I'm not sure when because I was busy hanging out with older, cooler friends. For awhile, Debbie and Anne lost track of one another. Not long after Anne moved to Atlanta, she and Debbie reconnected. I believe Myspace is to thank. Guess where Debbie was living? Atlanta.

After multiple glasses of wines, meetings of friends and boyfriends, New Year's Eve parties and birthday parties, Anne and Debbie became friends again. Luckily, they let me hang out with them sometimes. You know when they're younger, cooler friends are busy. Anne will be a bridesmaid in Debbie's wedding, and I'll be the proud older sister and friend crossing my fingers that no one trips in the aisle.

This photo was taken at Debbie's bridal shower which Anne helped organize. She bought beautiful decorations, made wonderful invitations and coordinated activities. She gave me a job, too. I created a bridal-word-jumble game. It reminded me of when we were kids except that I didn't win this game. In fact, I didn't even play because knowing all the answers in advance is actually cheating, not winning.

See, I'm trying to be cooler.

1 comment:

Erin D. said...

I loved this post and how it all came full circle. It is funny how the older sibling's the cool one growing up, but then the younger one takes that title.