Thursday, April 9, 2009

The dreaded office potluck

My sister's company had a brunch today. Everyone was supposed to bring a dish to share. A sign-up sheet was posted on an office door. Anne approached the sign-up sheet with trepidation. Napkins, paper plates and sodas were already taken. She'd have to make something.

Anne debated what to bring for several days. She scoured magazines and cookbooks. She asked friends for their best recipes. She pondered the usual questions: What would everyone in the office like? How many folks were vegetarians? How would the dish stay warm or cold? How far in advance could the dish be prepared?

What is it about the office potluck that causes so much stress? My biggest worry is that no one will eat what I bring. I also have this fear that I'll be walking by someone's desk and see a serving of my dish in the trashcan.

I usually suggest friends take store-bought goodies to their office parties. It may be cheating, but it's an emotional lifesaver. No one seems to get disappointed when the grocery-store sugar cookies are untouched on the buffet. But if no one wants any of grandma's famous snickerdoodles, there's sure to be sadness.

3 comments:

Erin D. said...

That is really funny. You're right, there is stress that goes along with these things. I kinda rely on this one lady in my office to tell me what to bring. She's worked here for 30 years so she kinda knows what people like and she's good and determining what's missing from the list. Find one of those people!

Dawn said...

Good advice, Erin! I need to find one of those people.

Anne MM said...

I will never make anything else for a stupid office potluck. No one ate any of my dish. My feelings were hurt.... only because I wasted my entire evening the night before trying to make not just any dish but a southern dish! Never again. I will always opt for store bought cookies.
--Anne