Monday, April 6, 2009

Dreaming of a different time

It was a cold and rainy Sunday. I considered being productive. I could have cleaned the house or organized my closet. I really did think about it, for at least a full minute. Then I decided to watch movies.

In honour of the dreary weather, I chose "The Duchess" and "The Other Boleyn Girl." The rain tapping against the window, the lush landscapes being shown on the TV screen and the English accents blaring from the speakers made me feel like I was living in a different time in England.

Beautiful gowns, parties, dancing, extravagant weddings, titles. It all seemed so romantic and wonderful. Then the wars, arranged marriages, scandals, marital affairs and beheadings begun and things seemed a bit less romantic. In fact, things seemed downright scary.

I was even more scared later when I did some Internet fact-checking after the movies. Maybe living in a time period when you didn't get to choose your spouse and forgetting to hold your tongue could be considered treason wouldn't have been that great.

I'm glad that I wasn't married to some politically desirable suitor when I was 15 and encouraged to produce a male heir quickly thereafter. I'm especially glad that today women can express opinions on "matters of state," pick their partners, celebrate the births of their daughters and make their own decisions.

I still wish I had some of those gowns, though. A girl can always dream. Just hold the reality, please.

No comments: