Tuesday, January 12, 2010

My latest obsession: The Tudors

I've always loved history. It's memorizing datelines and taking pop quizzes that I've never learned to love. The reign of King Henry VIII is particularly fascinating. The dude beheaded two wives for goodness sakes.

Showtime's series "The Tudors" explores King Henry's life and his fast-changing relationships with his wives. The first three seasons are available on DVD and my sister let me borrow her copies (thanks, Anne).

I've been watching the show with my laptop. I love to check on the accuracy of the show's details. How does it rate? I wouldn't use it as study material for a history class, but the basic storyline is true. The most disturbing thing, to me, is the "composite character" that's supposed to represent Henry's two sisters. It doesn't. The show also takes some liberties with England's relationship with Scotland and France during that time period.

The acting is excellent and the character development is strong, if a bit fictional. I'd certainly suggest the show to friends and even history buffs. In fact, especially history buffs. Jeff (a history minor) and I have enjoyed talking (and arguing) about the show. Just keep your laptop close to settle any disputes.

1 comment:

Anne MM said...

So glad you like this series! Luke and I loved it. I think you are really going to enjoy that book I gave you too!