Sunday, August 30, 2009

Birthday weekend: Parts I and II

I got to have two birthday weekends this year. Why? Did you miss that article about how 33 is the new 21?

Last weekend I had my Columbus celebration. A romantic dinner with Jeff and then drinks with friends. This weekend Anne, Luke and Jeff took me to Corks & Forks in Atlanta. It's my favorite food and wine festival. Guests can sample small plates of some of the best dishes from Atlanta restaurants while sipping wine and beer from various Atlanta wine shops and breweries. I tasted watermelon gazpacho, heirloom tomatoes on poppy-seed bread, slow-braised short ribs, pate on raisin toast, chilled cucumber soup, lobster roll and tuna tartar. Yummy!

Here are a few photos:

The adorable little cake that Jeff selected tasted just as good as it looks. It was the perfect size for two.


Tiny cakes don't have room for a lot of candles, thank goodess. I think this is more tasteful — not to mention safer — than cramming 33 candles on a cake


Knowing what an animal lover I am, but not wanting to add a third puppy to the family, Sassy and Alley decided to sponsor an elephant at the Atlanta Zoo in my name. The dogs were sold the moment they realized the elephant would still live at the zoo and not in their yard.


Jeff and I pause between bites of delicious food for a photo.


Feeling completely stuffed after eating 20 small plates of food, Anne and I have a refreshing beer. The full-fat Pacifico really got the metabolism going.


Anne and Luke, who prefer sandwiches and fries to pate and gazpacho, survived the food festival with minimal heartburn. We ordered pizza later that night while watching super-scary "Haunting in Connecticut" on television.

2 comments:

Anne MM said...

This is such a good write up! I love the little cake and WOW- you are sponsoring an elephant--- What a great idea. That is such a cool present. Glad you had a good b-day. And we feel very lucky you chose to spend some of it with us. Happy b-day big sis!

Karly said...

Sounds like a great birthday celebration! I wish I could have been there for it, but I was thinking of you. I hope you got my voicemail!