Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Love 'Love Actually'

Yes, it was another bad day at work. I know, I've had a lot of them lately. And according to my friends' blogs, I'm not alone.

This has made me re-examine my favorite feel-good movies. You know, those movies that you watch with a giant tub of popcorn and Ben & Jerry. Right now I'm watching "Love Actually." It's definitely doing the trick. It gives me a renewed hope in mankind.

My top feel-better movies:

"Baby Boom" starring Diane Keaton. She gives up her fast-paced New York City life to raise her niece in the suburbs after her boss hands her a dreadfully sexist ultimatum. In the end, she gets even with the "good old boys club" and finds happiness in work and love.

"Family Man" stars Nicolas Cage as Jack, who wakes up one morning married to his college sweetheart with two kids in New Jersey. The previous night he was a big-time financial executive working on a money-making merger in New York City. (Huh, do we see a theme? Think I have a secret desire to live in New York?) Anyway, guess what? Jack finds success in love and work in New Jersey just in time to wake up back in New York.

"Steel Magnolias." It doesn't even need an explanation. You'll laugh. You'll cry. You'll hug your spouse. You'll move to the South. (Wait, that's just me.)

What are your favorite feel-better movies? If work continues on its current track, I may need to add a few more to my list.

3 comments:

Erin D. said...

Man, what's happening at your work? Have you ever thought about teaching? Lousy pay, but summers off. Don't you have a pool AND a lake to lay around in?

Dawn said...

I know. When is there going to be some good news about the newspaper industry? That teaching thing sounds like a dream. Good luck with your new schedule. It sounds like the pros certainly outweigh the cons. I bet Ella will be really happy about the new arrangement.

Anne MM said...

RE: Top Feel Good Movies

Let's start by saying you might be surprised. I love, and I know you know this, but I love Mission Impossilbe type movies. ACTION BABY-- ACTION. When I watch movies I want to be entertained. I don't want to think about my life or how I could relate this film to my life. I just want to watch, drink beer and eat popcor. For anyone who doesn't know me- I am a girl.
But if I am having a shitty day and I need a really good feel good inside and mushy I always revert too-
1) Two weeks Notice- It makes me laugh. It makes me think (at least I didn't have to go number 2 in front of my boss in a camper while on a crowded NYC highway). It also makes me think--- I can make THIS work. Really I can
2) You've got mail- for one reason and one reason only. Take it to the mattresses. It's a sudo quote a quote in a movie from another movie. I just like it. I think if you are gonna fight. FIGHT. Stand up and fight. No holds bar. Do it and don't back down.
3) The wizard of OZ- Not only can I quote the whole movie I know a million tid bits of trivia. But really I watch it for the last 3 secs when good ol Dorthy clicks her magic ruby sleepers 3 Xs and is magically transported elsewhere. I love shoes... I really love RED shoes... and I love the thought of being somewhere with the click of my heels.

as for bad days at work-- here is my advice... never stay longer then two weeks, always check your e-mail and buy flashy red shoes. Work is work. It will suck. It will get better. But all in all there your shoes- make sure you love.