Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Extra amibiance, hold the reality

In this month's Food & Wine magazine, (yes, I know I'm a snob) editor Dana Cowin writes about how going to restaurants is like traveling to new places. I know exactly what she's talking about. Dining is no longer a prequel to an event, it is the event.

Sure, eating at an Italian restaurant isn't the same as a visit to Tuscany, but for an hour or two, can't you pretend?

I can. A few weeks ago, the husband and I had dinner at a cute little Italian place in town. It was Friday, my favorite night of the week. I was giddy with optimism for the weekend and full of relief at surviving another work week.

The restaurant was cozy with its strategically placed village street lamps, comfy booths and soft linens. It was designed like an Italian street cafe, and Columbus seemed very far away.

A glass of wine and a basket of warm buttery bread later and the tension was melting away. Leaning across the table, looking into my husband's eyes, steeling bites of his pasta, I was "contenta."

Sure, it would be nice to jet off to San Francisco for dinner (hello, new "90210") but sometimes, with the right companion and attitude, an in-town restaurant is a destination.

2 comments:

Erin D. said...

That is so true. A great atmosphere and great food is a great night out in my book. Are we getting old?

d and j said...

Yes. I mean no. Maybe we're just getting smarter.