Monday, September 22, 2008

A dress for a wedding

I narrowly avoided another wardrobe crisis Saturday. I had a formal wedding to attend. How formal? Some of the guests wore tuxes. Yes, the guests.

I pretty much panicked when I found out I'd need a fancy dress. As much as I love dress shopping, I just couldn't justify buying a new one.

I bought three summer dresses at the beginning of the season, and I didn't wear any of them. They're all classic styles, so there's still hope for them. And they were on sale, which eases my guilt. But with those three dresses haunting my closet, there was no hope I could buy a new dress for this wedding.

How could none of my recent purchases work? One is a sun dress, another is a cute little informal black dress and then there's the perfect strapless dress with a bubble skirt. Well, perfect except that it's white.

As I was rummaging through my closet, I came across that dress that you know you'll never wear again even though you promise your friend you will. The dress you convince your friend is exactly something you would have picked out for a million other occasions. The bridesmaid dress.

This one's a green, knee-length dress with a little belt and spaghetti straps. I pulled it out of the closet and tried it on. It still fit! I took off the tiny rhinestone-studded belt and added a wide black belt. I tucked in the spaghetti straps and put on a short-sleeved cardigan. Black wedge heels and a pink clutch completed the outfit.

So, thanks Karly. I really did wear that dress again, and it worked perfectly!

3 comments:

Erin D. said...

Um, I think we need to see photos of this Dawn.
I too had ONE bridesmaid dress I wore again - my sister chose a nice black dress from Macy's for her wedding and I believe I wore it to a certain TDS Christmas party!

Dawn said...

Very well. Here it comes.

Karly said...

Erin, how could you doubt me? ;-)

For comparison's sake, here's a link to the dresses in their original wedding form:

http://twocurlytails.blogspot.com/2008/07/happy-anniversary-to-us.html