Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Needed: Fun show, Found: The Little Couple

Like a million others, I tuned in last night to watch the season five premiere of "Jon and Kate Plus 8."

I've watched the show since the cute sextuplets were babies. The only thing that even resembles that first season is that the kids are still adorable. Now husband Jon and Kate and their 8-year-old twin girls and 5-year-old sextuplets live in a million dollar home in Pennsylvania. The family travels (for free) to Hawaii, New York, Chicago, Florida, California and Utah (for skiing.) Kate has written two books and has a lucrative speaking career.

Oh, did I mention the rumors of infidelity? Both Kate and Jon have been accused of having affairs. Both have denied the rumors. There's gossip (from Aunt Jodi, married to Kate's brother) that Kate terminated the marriage months ago, but had Jon sign a contract stating that he could date other people as long as he showed up at "home" on filming days.

Monday's show featured Jon and Kate giving separate interviews. They had one brief and extremely awkward interview together where they wouldn't look at each other or talk to each other. In their individual interviews, both mentioned the possibility of divorce. The interviews were shown between clips from the sextuplets fifth birthday event. The show was depressing and painful to watch.

I'm going to need a new funny and light-hearted show. TLC seems to have anticipated this because tonight "The Little Couple" debuted. Bill and Jen are newlyweds (oh, and little people). In the first episode, the couple travels from New York (Bill's home) to Houston where Jen, a doctor, works at a hospital. Bill and Jen have cute newlywed fights on their roadtrip as viewers watch the everyday difficulties that little people face driving, getting clothing tailored and generally not being able to reach things.

"The Little Couple" had charm and those "aw" moments that a certain 10-person show used to have. Click here for a link if you're looking for a fun summer show.

2 comments:

Erin D. said...

Wow, I hadn't heard that gossip from Aunt Jodi. That's crazy. I was pretty shocked when I watched the season opener. I had seen the headlines and heard what Kate was saying in interviews, but I didn't realize they were separated. How sad it's come down to that. I hope the little couple can do better! And Tori and Dean - my other reality family obsession.

Dawn said...

Ohhh. I haven't seen Tori and Dean. I'm going to have to check that one out.