Monday, June 8, 2009

Accidental fun

When things don't go as planned, there's only one thing to do: celebrate.

Jeff and I went to Victoryland in Alabama on Saturday to bet on the Belmont horse race. After helping our friend Alan move, we were a bit short on time. We arrived at Victoryland with just enough time to bet or get a beer. Luckily, there were two of us. I headed for the bar and Jeff went to place our bets.

The woman taking bets misunderstood Jeff. I wound up getting a ticket for horse number 2 (Dunkirk) instead of my desired horse number 10. Thankfully I had that Bud Light so I wasn't too upset. I threw my support behind Dunkirk. When he started the race in the lead, I was afraid he'd fade fast. Fortunately, he didn't. Dunkirk placed. (That means he came in second in horse terms.) I won $9. If I'd actually placed the bet I wanted, I would have won... nothing. Happy accident!

After we collected our winnings (Jeff won $13 on Summer Bird. We're high rollers, I know.) we drove to Montgomery for a Biscuit game (minor league baseball). Imagine our surprise when we arrived at a closed stadium. Oops. Looks like we misread the schedule. Fortunately, we saw Dreamland barbecue restaurant near the stadium. It's well-known as one of the best BBQs in the South. We snagged an outside table, grabbed some extra paper towels and consumed some delicious barbecue. Another happy accident!


Dawn's ribs, slaw and fries.


Jeff's chicken, sausage, mac & cheese and potato salad.


The only thing left was this lonely piece of white bread.

1 comment:

Erin D. said...

Yum, that barbecue looks pretty good!