Sunday, October 12, 2008

Chocolate is for kids


Jeff turns 40 Tuesday. Forty. That seems old. I remember my friends' parents being 40. I guess it's one of those things that you think only happens to other people. It's hard to believe it's happening to my husband. This is the man who jumps over the couch, leaps onto my desk at work and has never seen a banister he didn't want to slide down. Don't 40 year olds have joint problems or at least bad knees?

After going through the stages of birthday grief (denial, fear and acceptance) Jeff decided to greet his fourth decade with a gin-induced stupor. Since friends don't let friends drink alone, we had a party. A martini party. We had cucumber, Kit-Kat, chocolate, pineapple, apple, Sapphire and dirty martinis. Yum!

The highlight for Jeff was the impromptu gin tasting (thanks, Anne) which certainly seemed to help him achieve his gin-induced stupor. The highlight for the rest of us was probably the chocolate fountain. Yes, a fountain of chocolate. Makes those water fountains seem pretty silly, huh.

Guests dipped strawberries, cookies, pretzels, marshmallows (and yes, their fingers) into a cascade of melted chocolate. Their faces (some young, some not-so-young) showed childlike joy while watching their treats get soaked in chocolate.

It was a magical experience, and I guess even a 40-year-old couch-jumper deserves some birthday magic.

3 comments:

Erin D. said...

Aw, how fun. I miss you guys. Sounds like you did it up right. I can't believe Jeff is 40! Not that we're much behind, but yeah, I remember thinking that was over the hill when I was little. I think 40 is the new 20 now ... Tell Jeff Happy Birthday!

Dawn said...

We miss you, too. I told Jeff your theory about 40 being the new 20. He liked the idea, but said his knees felt 40. Maybe he should stop jumping on stuff, huh. At least we know his brain is 20 (or 12).

Unknown said...

Hi Dawn,

Saw that dirty martinis were on the menu, so we'd love to send Jeff a belated birthday gift - Dirty Sue - premium olive juice for dirty martinis.
www.dirtysue.com
Let me know.
Eric
et1969@mac.com