Saturday, September 4, 2010

My summer vacation

September brings change. Kids go back to school. The neighborhood pool closes. Shorts and tank tops are packed away to make space for jeans and sweaters. And for me, September marks a return to blogging. Can I go back-to-blogging shopping? Please?

It's been a crazy summer. Ben Holden, our executive editor at The Ledger-Enquirer, accepted a new job at the beginning of the summer and left Columbus for Reno. Our new editor started two weeks ago, so Jeff and I (and all our co-workers) spent the summer in that uncomfortable state of limbo. We're entering a new era now, so wish us luck!

During this "summer of change," I was named editor-in-chief of a popular women's magazine previously produced solely by a group of talented freelancers. Starting with the October issue, being designed now, we're producing the magazine in the newsroom. Learning how to work on a magazine has been a fun, stressful and challenging experience. I'm very luck that I love the work, but I must admit that sometimes I wish there was a bit less of it.

The summer hasn't been all work and no play, though. We spent some nice weekends in Atlanta hanging out with Anne and exploring the amazing dining scene. My parents came for a visit and ended up buying a house in Georgia. Jeff and I attended a music festival in Athens (home of the Georgia Bulldogs) with our friend David. We welcomed Lily and Morgan's beautiful daughter Ellie to the world. Anne and I traveled to Michigan for our great-aunt's 80th birthday. And I became a "model" for a day at a bridal fashion show.

I hope y'all had a great summer! Here are few snapshots from mine:


Jeff and Dawn at the Applause for Paws Benefit. The benefit raised money for shelter animals, obviously a subject close to our hearts. Some really cute doggies showed off their talents for the evening's entertainment. They were good. But they've got nothing on Sassy and Alley.


Jeff and Alan at the Paws benefit.


Dawn and Sonya at the Paws benefit.


Jeff and Dawn at the Livingston Lounge after seeing "Phantom of the Opera" at Fox Theatre.


The best thing about being a "model" for a day was getting my hair done. Isn't this a cute style?


I love this hot-pink, strapless, short bridesmaid dress.


I'm a bride again. It was really hard to walk on a narrow runway with a train.


Brew at the Zoo is a fundraiser for animals at the Atlanta Zoo. This new mom is holding her baby gorilla.


Sonya and Alan at Brew at the Zoo.


Dawn and Jeff at Brew at the Zoo.


Ben's farewell party. We miss you, Ben!


Jeff and Dawn at a Renaissance Festival.


Anne and Luke at a Renaissance Festival.


The cake for Lily's baby shower turned into a "welcome to the world" cake for Ellie who arrived on her baby-shower day.


Mom and Dad were in Georgia for Father's Day. Dad cleaned the attic and found that awesome shirt he's wearing and the letter jackets that Anne and I earned by running hundred of miles in high school.


The family celebrates with 80-year-old matriarch Lorraine in Michigan.


Anne and I pose with our second-cousin Val.


Poor Aunt Lorraine broke her wrist just a few weeks before her 80th birthday. Luckily, the injury didn't dampen her spirits and she was still able to indulge in her favorite cocktail, a pina colada.

3 comments:

Anne MM said...

I knew I loved September for a reason! Great blog post... So glad your back; you've been missed.

Dawn said...

Thanks, Anne!

Erin D. said...

Great post Dawn. That's exciting about Ben Holden. And your new job! A women's magazine seems like the perfect fit for you. You will be great at that. Loved the hairdo too!