Monday, December 21, 2009

All I want for Christmas is a better attitude

I might be a bad person. I have discovered that I don't like helping others.

I know, I am officially on Santa's naughty list. But, let's not kid ourselves. It's unlikely that I was ever on his nice list.

My recent bah-humbug attitude is due to this program at work where we get letters from folks who need clothes, food, shoes and coats. Oh, yeah, and video-game systems. (Oops that was another Grinch moment.) Anyway, the program is a great idea in theory. Those who have give to those who have not. But make a few follow-up phone calls, and you'll quickly wonder just how needy these folks are. For example, a 22-year-old mother of three told me that she'd never worked because the "government money was pretty good." Nice. I would now like to point out that when I was 17 years old, I worked at Steak and Shake and cleaned vomit off bathroom floors.

Some of these letter writers really bring out my inner Grinch.

Two years ago Jeff and I delivered gifts to a young couple who had a nicer TV than we had. Last year, we took presents to a grandmother who was using empty Smirnoff vodka bottles as her mantle-piece decor. The intoxicated not-yet-40-year-old grandma asked if "that was it" after we placed several bags of wrapped presents in her living room.

So, what do you think? Is my bah-humbug attitude justified?

No. Standing behind these dysfunctional adults are children. Young boys and girls deserve Christmas presents even if (and maybe especially if) their parents suck. After all, don't these kids need gifts the most?

I feel less bah-humbuggy, and maybe even a little Christmasy, when I remember the little girl who ran out of her grandma's house last year to say thanks and give me a hug.

2 comments:

Mrs. Pie said...

This reminds me of a "30 Rock" episode I saw last year. The one where Liz thinks that the people she's delivering presents to are trying to scam the system and sell the presents. So when she goes back to confront them, she ruins christmas for a couple of little kids that were listening behind the adults.

It's a shame that those with work ethic have to provide for the children of people who refuse to do it. And it's a shame that you're sounding as grinchy as I do sometimes! Maybe we should seek a support group for grinchiness....?

Great post! Bah humbug to all other posts.

Dawn said...

Oh no, As grinchy as you? We'd better find a support group. Maybe Tina Fay could lead it. She's hilarious. I can't believe I haven't seen that episode that you mentioned. I'll have to track that down.